Cover story is a lengthy Serial Experiments Lain feature that I’ve included below. Remember when Serial Experiments Lain was released. Few people had DSL, broadband was growing but slowly. The majority of people still had dial-up. Read the three interviews from Producer Yasuyuki Ueda, Screenwriter Chiaki Konaka and Director Ryutaro Nakamura. Don’t remember these people associated with Lain? It’s probably because people associate the show with character designer Yoshitoshi ABe. Reading these interviews give you a better perspective on the series.
The 1999 Fall Anime Preview – WOW. A lot of great shows that people still care about in this article. End of Evengelion, Perfect Blue, Pokemon The First Movie, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Martian Successor Nadesico, Gundam Wing, Trigun and Vampire Hunter D.
Highlights from this Issue
- In the “From The Editor” section, Pokemon was mega-popular at San Diego Comic-Con in 1999.
- Interesting Pioneer Ad “Great Anime – No Hype Necessary” I what company(ies) they were referring to???
- I think this is the first Pioneer ad with the age rating boxes.
- 3 page interview with Brett Weaver incorrectly states Project A-Kon was held in Houston. It was at the Dallas-Fort Worth Hyatt Regency.
- “The Anime Event of 1999 is Here” Magic Knight Rayearth double page ad from Media Blasters. I like this phrase in the article: “Available either dubbed or subtitle for the same low price!”
- Faye Valentine Cowboy Bebop ad from Bandai that also promotes, Eat-Man ’98 and Blue Submarine No. 6.
- This month’s fan art is all about swimsuits.
- ADV gives us this month’s Anime That Time Forgot: Metal Angel Marie, Those Who Hunt Elves and Power Dolls 2.
- CPM is all about promoting the Record of Lodoss War sequel series.
- I think I found the first “Digitally Remastered” in a DVD ad with Manga’s Macross Plus DVD release. One of the features in the release states “Manga 2000 commercial” Guess what I found on YouTube (Yes, that is KMFDM in the background)
Leave a Reply