Bastard!! The only reason I have a copy of this anime series is because of the exclamation points (that and at the time I traded FUNimation shows for Pioneer shows with a counter-part at Pioneer)
Onto the highlights!
- Animerica gave some information from those paper response card people sent it. The majority of Animerica readers 50/50 male, female split with the average ages of readers being 15-17 female and 17-19 male. The youngest given age was 9 and the oldest was late fifties.
- Best article explanation of the most overused anime trope at the time The Loser Hero. Must read. Double must read.
- Full pages of Slayers and Tenchi Muyo anime fan art in this issue. I wonder if they used all the fan art submitted or did they pick and choose?
- Anime Works ad for Shinesman and Marriage. Two more titles lost in time.
- First review of a Pokemon release. “Pokemon: I Choose You! Pikachu!
- Anime Central 1998 ad. Awesome thing is that these most guests are timeless. They still like going to cons as guests. ACen was still small and growing in 1999 – They only used the Ramada Plaza O’Hare.
- How can I not pass up scanning a one page article on Ninjas?!? This article showcases the varying supernatural qualities of ninjas in anime (for you young-uns – this is way before Naruto)
- CPM wins for best ad color palette to match an anime title with their show “Darkside Blues” A great example of ’90s ads.
- More ADV titles that have been forgotten with the passage of time: Daimajin, Legend of Crystania, Sorcerer Hunters and Bite Me! Chameleon.
- Review for a game that created a genre: Bust a Groove.