Animerica – Anime and Manga Monthly Volume 5, No. 6. Street Fighter II Cover
- How about a copycat ad to start this issue? Who remembers Art of Fighting anime? The design and logo looks familiar to another anime about street fighters…
- I also think this US Manga Corp ad has the first Edited release marketed for kids. It’s for Battle Arena Toshiden – “Edited Version for Younger Viewers”
- The best ad is the first ad for DVD, and it’s not from Manga – It’s from retailer Anime Direct. It’s a pre-order ad for Ghost in The Shell.
- The TV Update has a good article and character descriptions for The Slayers. I’m curious why Slayers hasn’t gotten much attention in the magazine until now.
- Did you know that Masamune Shirow’s work appeared in Penthouse Comix? 11 page “Exon Depot”
- Seen on the Scene section talks about the influx of Dragon Ball Z toys and merchandise.
- Did you know that before the Score Entertainment DBZ CCG there was a Dragon Ball Z stand-alone Ani-Mayhem game from Pioneer? This ad is also the first appearance of the FUNimation logo in advertising.
- I think it’s fun to look back at old late 90’s retail ads at the beginning of online retail. Both the AnimeNation and Planet Anime ads have email addresses that don’t link directly to the site. AnimeNations’ 1-888-MYANIME phone number is still working and still featured on their home page.
- And finally ADV with their headline: “Bringing You The Best Apocalyptic Disasters and Violence Since 1992.
- Did not realize that if ADV didn’t split themselves up that the ADV brand would be celebrating 20 years this year in 2012.