In this June 1998 issue of Animerica is THE BEST Superdimensional Fortress Macross article EVER. This issue has so much from the first appearance of ADV’s modern logo, Sailor Moon RPG, Apollo Smile comic book ad, and remember Chromo-Cel? Read on.
The article covers the 15th anniversary of the first broadcast of Macross. Fast forward to this post and it’s 15 years after this issue was published.
30 Years of Macross. For me, I wish there was more Macross than Gundam. Best wartime soap opera anime out there. The story holds up after all these years.
Check out these 6 pages I’ve scanned – with permission from one of the writers Egan Loo, Anime News Network’s Senior News Editor. I wrote him an email and asked if I could post his “Where Are They Now” – A look at where the main and supporting characters appeared after Macross ended. I wish they made a Macross series covering Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase in the Megaroad-01. Misa is still my favorite anime character. Most of this was built from first watching Robotech and the great English dub performance “Oh, Rick” and then later watching the original Macross. Also check out Egan’s “Macross World Science” -Overtechnology, Song Energy Theory, Fold System -all explained.
The Creators article has great descriptions of each person’s contribution – Noboru Ishiguro, Shoji Kawamori, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Kazutaka Miyatake, Sukehiro Tomita, Ichiro Itano, Toshihiro Hirano and Mari Iijima and little “Did you know…” about other soon to be famous creators who also worked production on Macross.
Grab your favorite beverage and take 15 minutes to read all things Macross.
Highlights from all the rest of this article:
- The ad for Blood Reign shows the first appearance of the modern ADV logo – however, the box art on the ad show the old logo as well as the other ADV ad for Dirty Pair Flash and Ruin Explorers – using the old 90’s ADV logo.
- The ad for Wrath of the Ninja The Yotoden Movie looks interesting. One of those anime movies that time forgot.
- Something that did come back was Space Adventure Cobra. UrbanVision first released this movie on VHS in 1998. Discotek Media re-released this movie in 2012. And now Right Stuf has acquire the series. The best extra on this VHS release was the inclusion of the Matthew Sweet “Girlfriend” video.
- Sailor Moon RPG – Big Eyes Small Mouth article. Do people still play BESM?
- Anime illustrations – sold as anime cels – Chroma-Cel Ani-Magine – oh! letters of authenticity. That must have gotten some people to buy them. I still see one or two in a anime con dealers room.
- Ad for the Apollo Smile comic book. If you want to find out more about Apollo Smile and wonder what she is working on now check out this Animerica March 1997 post.
- The Animerica Fan Awards for 1998 was shunned to a 1/3 page article this year. Sailor Mars and Sailor Jupiter tied for Favorite Sailor Scout.
- Check out the full color Animeigo ad for Urusei Yatsura, Crusher Joe and Kimagure Orange Road. – this is my favorite ad of this issue.
- Anime North and Anime Iowa appear in the Anime Convention Calendar.
Whew! That was a lot in this issue.
And Here I am, 2019, remembering Macross again.
I loved this magazine and had some. I still love Macross, too.
And now thinking of Macross Frontier And Delta…
Thank you for sharing!
Lance Heiskell says
You are quite welcome!